Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vagabond Ways





Born December 29, 1946, Marianne Faithfull grew up in London's swinging mod scene and began her career in the 1960s with the hit, "As Tears Go By" written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. The Rolling Stones were the most popular band at that time, along with the Beatles, and their music gained recognition in households across the globe. Marianne, however, found her way into the hearts of a smaller audience, but her career was large. She would go on to become an award-winning singer, songwriter actress and poet.

She vanished from the spot light and a tumultuous relationship with Jagger and excessive drugs after the her hit song Sister Morphine and returned to the scene in the late 1970's with a hit album, Broken English. This followed an even bigger album, Strange Weather, which was my original acquaintance with the British pop icon. With tracks like Times Square and the disco attempt of Sweetheart, I was hooked on her raspy hoarse vocals and her biting poetic lyrics.

She enhances her body of work with numerous scores for films including her hit, "Ballad of Lucy Jordon" and "Trouble In Mind" which contains one of my favorites, "The Hawk" featuring Mark Isham.

I did see her once in concert. In fact I was standing outside the Park West Theater in Chicago waiting for my guest to arrive when Marianne Faithful pulled up in a taxi to the front door, paid the driver walked up to the entrance, alone - no posse - looked at me and smiled as I held the door open for her. She nodded and thanked me in her raspy voice - which by the way is absolutely angelic in person. I was impressed by her lack of pretense. What class!

Her album Vagabond Ways is an autobiographical one and one, along with the above mentioned, I highly recommend. She may be a cult classic but she's truly Aces in my book... or blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWT23s94Eqo

1 comment: